Sign up for exclusive discounts, product launches, and new stories on The Lab.
Replenish and defend your skin barrier with skincare products designed to support a healthy barrier.
Protecting your skin barrier is important at every age, and becomes more vital as we mature.
Two factors we should all be aware of when it comes to aging and the appearance of aged skin.
1. Extrinsic Aging: Caused by external factors such as UV, Pollution, Lifestyle
2. Intrinsic Aging: Caused by time (inevitable)
While there is little we can do about intrinsic aging (unless you’re able to stop time), there is a lot we can do to care for our skin and impede premature skin aging as a result of external factors. There’s also something pretty powerful we can do to protect mature skin. The solution to both? Proper Skin Barrier Defense.
By now you have learned a great deal about what the barrier is HERE
Also why you need to protect your barrier HERE
Let’s now talk about aging and the skin barrier
The skin barrier is very important as it pertains to skin aging. Why? “inflammaging”. Coined by Claudio Franceschi, PhD, Inflammaging is a term that describes chronic, persistent inflammation (aka immune response). Visible, long-term inflammation can manifest itself as red, irritated skin, that is often pretty uncomfortable, but it’s not always blatantly visible.
So what? After a while, this will likely result in:
● A reduction in collagen and elastin which manifests as less supple, slackened skin, with fine lines and wrinkles
● Dark spots
● Thinner skin
● Weakened skin barrier
Taken together, all of these things will appear as skin aging.
To boot, skin that is more vulnerable, either as a result of a compromised skin barrier or due to age, is more subject to inflammation. As we mature in age (and wisdom), our skin naturally becomes more fragile. Cell turnover slows, collagen and elastin degrade, and lipid production decreases. Ironically, as we become stronger and more confident, our skin becomes thinner with a weaker defense mechanism.
Here’s the good news, there is 100% something we can do about this!
You are in charge. There is plenty you can do to protect yourself from extrinsic aging, inflammaging the impact of intrinsic aging on your skin, and importantly your skin barrier.
1. Use gentle products on your skin. Yes, physical exfoliants, peels and acids work quickly and effectively, but can have a negative impact on your beauty routine if overused, potentially exacerbating inflammation. If you must, use these sparingly and always replenish your skin’s natural moisturizing factor and overall skin barrier. (Hint, our Firm + Replenish Serum was made just for this)
2. Protect your skin from extrinsic factors like UV and Oxidation by wearing SPF and incorporating skincare products that are high in antioxidants into your routine.
3. Replenish and defend your skin barrier with skincare products designed to support a healthy barrier. Eighteen B created B-SILK PROTEIN to form a lightweight breathable barrier on your skin. This vegan silk skincare acts like an extension of your own skin barrier to defend your skin and ultimately, transform the way we think about healthy skin.
4. Stay hydrated, eat a balanced diet (including lots of healthy fats), and exercise regularly.